Are you taking your first ABRSM piano exam soon? If yes, ever wonder how does it feel like during the exam? Before the real day, let me walk you through the whole process of the piano exam. Ready? Here we go …
1. Enter the exam room with permission of your examiner after knocking the door.
2. Greet your examiner, sit down on the piano bench and take some time to adjust the seat until you can play comfortably and reach the pedal easily.
3. You can also ask for your examiner’s permission to test the piano for a few seconds if you wish to.
4. The exam will start with scales and arpeggios. Listen attentively to the examiner’s questions as random scales will be asked. Examiner may ask you to play with both hands or separate hand. So, be prepared to be able to play both.
5. After finished with scales and arpeggios, you’re required to play your 3 exam pieces starting from list A to list C.
6. The third section of your exam is sight reading. You will be given 30 seconds to look at the sheet music before you’re tested.
7. Lastly, you’ll be tested on your aural skill. The aural test is divided into 4 sections and you’re required to answer questions about time signature, clapping rhythm, sight singing or music features depending on which grade you’re taking.
8. There you go! You’ve finished your piano exam!
Watch These Videos Below to Get an Idea on How the Piano Exam Will Be Like !!!
Grade 1 Piano Exam
Grade 5 Piano Exam
Examiners are usually friendly and helpful. If you have any question arising during the exam, you can always ask for assistance. Remember to be courteous and humble all the time and follow the examiner’s instructions properly. I wish that you have gained some ideas about the piano examination process and hopefully your stress level can be reduced. Feel free to leave me a comment below to let me know what you think about this post!